Louisiana Purchase through Early Statehood Named after U. Senator Thomas Hart Benton of Missouri Territory, the town began in 1833 on the east bank of the Saline two years before the county was established.
with the best of water.” Spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, English grammar, and geography—with globes—was offered for .50 for a five-month term. In 1883, the Shady Grove School on North Market Street contained two sections.
Thirteen properties, including a mound site and a bridge, are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Though the aluminum industry was located in nearby Bauxite, Benton served as an employee, a service sector, and a medical and entertainment base for Reynolds Metals and Alcoa Inc.
He procured enactment of a law providing for a November 7, 1836, election at which voters would choose five commissioners to select the official site.
Elected were Rezin Davis, Jesse Bland, David Dodd, Jarrett Mc Carty, and Abijah Davis; they chose Benton. That year, a Jockey Club and horse track were constructed, and Mrs. Ten years later, Benton was considered a small village.